Finding, creating, sharing, and using your research knowledge
We use the term knowledge translation to talk about how we use research knowledge. In the HSE, we define knowledge translation as the process involved in reducing the gap between research and practice and making sure effective innovations are used in policy and practice. It is about finding, creating, sharing, and using knowledge, and is an interactive process between those who create knowledge and those who use it
Why is it so important to think about what happens to research and how it is used?
- Well here are 10 good reasons why it matters:
- As a researcher you have been working for months, or possibly years, to find out something new in your topic area and you want your findings to be used and make a difference.
- You want to get recognition for your work. What you have found in your study could make a difference to the way patients are treated or looked after.
- Sharing research findings makes a difference to our understanding of different conditions and treatments.
- What you have found in your study might change guidance or policy or influence training.
- You might be having difficulty reaching those who need to know about your study and need some support.
- Research needs to be closer to those who will use the findings and not just seen as something that takes place in academia and a long way from the front line services.
- Sharing findings with patients, service users, and the public can bring a new understanding of your research and new ideas.
- A lot of health research uses public funds, so we have a responsibility to show patients and the public how we are using the funding.
- Sharing research findings and knowledge is the right thing to do!
To help researchers to make the most of their research, translate it into practice, policy, guidance, and education, we have created resources and guides.
To understand more about sharing your research knowledge, watch our video
Information on accessing HSEland for HSE staff
A series of training modules on planning, disseminating, and translating research knowledge into practice.
Guides and resources on Knowledge Dissemination
A range of guides, tools, and resources on all aspects of planning, disseminating, and translating research knowledge into practice.
Seminars on knowledge translation
A series of seminars on sharing, using, and translating research knowledge.
If you would have any queries or need support please contact us on ResearchandDevelopment@hse.ie